A DELICIOUS, colourful, healthy and nutritious appetizer which is very easy to make recipe. The beet is all about its vibrancy and I just fell to its enticing colour.
This cutlet is perfect for folks who need a delicious snack…you just grate the veggies, saute, throw in spices, shape your patties and fry them to have a delicious snack.
This is the one dish I frequently make at home, it’s probably because it’s the easiest way for my girl to feed veggies😄. So she never bothered to try cutlets from restaurants, her tastebuds are only accustomed to my special cutlets😁. The ease of making them and the way they hold together without breaking makes me to go for this recipe.
Beetroot adds a natural bright colour, broccoli and nuts give a nice crunch to the cutlet and make this dish attractive and perfect to add on to your party menu. Crispy outside with the layer of semolina, soft and juicy inside with an amazing flavour.
All in all it’s a delectable appetizer which will be a treat for your eyes as well as your tummy.
Here goes on the recipe….
Category : Appetizer, snack
Cuisine : Indian
Author : Jyo
Yields : 15 cutlets
For frying :
- 2 cups grated beets or 1 big beetroot grated and slightly squeeze out the juice
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 big onion, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder
- Salt to taste
- Cheese cubes for stuffing (optional)
Other ingredients :
- 1 small head of broccoli, remove the florets, blanch them, drain water, chop the florets into tiny pieces and keep aside
- 2 big potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 cup brown bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup flax seed powder
- 2 tbsp slightly crushed roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup dry roasted broken cashews
- Lots of chopped coriander leaves
- Oil for frying
For rolling :
- Fine semolina/chiroti rava or bread crumbs or fully crushed cornflakes. Here I used rava for rolling.
1. Heat oil in a pan, add onions, green chilli paste, ginger garlic paste…saute until the onions are translucent. Then add red chilli powder, garam masala powder, dry mango powder, cumin powder…saute for few seconds on low flame.
2. Add grated beets, carrots, salt and cook until done. Remove from flame and let the mixture cool completely.
3. Add all the 2nd list ingredients.
4. Now mix all the ingredients until you get a thick dough.
5. Now heat the oil, set the flame to medium, while the oil is getting heated, take a small portion of the dough, stuff a cheese cube (it’s optional), make into round shape and roll in semolina until fully coated.
6. Fry them on both sides until done, remove and place them on a paper towel. Repeat the same with other cutlets.
7. Enjoy hot with ketchup or any sauce of your choice.
You can also try Sweetcorn Patties recipe on the blog.
Tips and Tweaks :
Adjust the quantity of masala powders according to your taste. Do give a taste of the mixture before forming into cutlets.
Cutlet mixture should be dry enough to make the patty shape. If the mixture is not holding the shape, add required amount of bread crumbs.
Try to fry the cutlets on medium flame as the high flame leads to burnt of semolina and low flame leads to excess oil absorption.
You can either shallow fry or deep fry, it’s up to your choice. If you wanna deep fry, follow the below procedure…
- Make a flour paste of cornflour and all-purpose-flour, dip cutlets in the flour paste until fully coated and roll in bread crumbs. Slightly press with your fingers that the cutlet is covered fully with bread crumbs. Refrigerate for half an hour, then deep fry and enjoy.
You can also stuff a cheese cube inside the cutlet and fry. Kids will go gaga on this.
Skip cheese if you are a vegan.
You can also make this cutlets into a burger patties to make healthy burgers to which your kids won’t be able to say NO to.
Stay connected with me on Instagram for regular updates.