Capsicum Gojju is an interesting recipe just like its name. This dish sure takes you on a ride of flavours. Originating in the Southern states of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, gojju roughly translates to curry or gravy. It is traditional preparation of capsicum in tamarind and coconut gravy.This dish is made in medley of aromatic spices giving it the authentic South Indian taste. The method of cooking is quite simple, less time consuming and can be made with ingredients readily available at home.
I usually make this curry once in a month as it’s my hubby’s favorite, also this is one of my fav capsicum recipes.If you are bored with regular capsicum dishes, then I insist you to try this recipe and give your tastebuds a refreshing change. Ditch the usual sambar or rasam and try & serve this delectable gojju alongside with rice, chapati or plain akki rotti.
Category : Gojju, curry
Cuisine : South Indian
Author : Jyo
Servings : 5 to 6
- 4 nos capsicum, chop into small cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Few fresh curry leaves
- Few coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 lemon size tamarind
- 1 tbsp jaggery
For grinding paste :
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded coconut
- 8 red byadige chillies
- 8 red guntur chillies
- 3 tbsp roasted white sesame seeds
- 1/2 onion
- 1 fistful fried gram/roasted chana dal
- 1 tsp rasam powder
- 4 garlic pods
1. Soak tamarind and jaggery in 1/4 cup hot water for 15 minutes, then squeeze out the juice and discard the pulp. 2. Take all the grinding ingredients in a mixie jar and blend to a fine and smooth paste.3. Heat oil in a pan, temper the mustard seeds, add curry leaves, chopped onions and chopped capsicum. Fry on medium flame till done. But let the capsicum a bit crunchy.4. Now add grinded paste and tamarind slurry.
5. Mix and combine well.6. Add 1/2 cup of water and let the gojju cook till it slightly thickens.7. Once thickened, remove from flame and garnish with coriander leaves.8. Capsicum Gojju is ready to be served.
8. Serve the Gojju with rice or chapati or akki rotti.
Other curries on the blog….
Tips and Tweaks :
You can make the same recipe with eggplant too.
This Gojju is a thick curry but you can make it thin too.
Just add required amount of water to make thin.
Roasted sesame seeds and fried gram provide a delightful and palatable experience to tastebuds.
Stay connected with me on Instagram for regular updates.