Everyone needs a quick snack break to keep them going throughout the day and what could be better than a freshly made Instant Vegetable Rava Dhokla. Yummy…right ? If you wanna indulge in something DELICIOUS as well as healthy, then this recipe is an apt choice.
Typically dhokla is prepared from from besan aka chickpea flour but this is an alternative and prepared from Rava/semolina. Basically dhokla recipes are prepared from fermented batter either with besan or rice flour. However this recipe is an instant version of Rava dhokla with Eno fruit salt which helps to hasten the fermentation process.
There are certain foods that everyone finds irresistible, but for me it’s my all-time fav dhokla. Perfect-cut dhokla cubes topped with with a spicy tempering gives this classic dish a rich hit of flavour that will surely impress everyone on the table.
Though it’s a quick and instant make, you will still love its soft and spongy texture, it’s sooo good and tastes incredible. An excellent and healthy snack for mid-afternoon cravings ! Definitely a keeper recipe !
Category : Snack or Breakfast
Cuisine : Indian
Author : Jyo
Yields : 8 pieces
INGREDIENTS : (1 cup = 240 ml)
For dhokla :
- 1/2 cup Bombay Rava/semolina, slightly roasted
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp thick curd, slightly sour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped carrots
- 1 tbsp finely chopped beans
- 1 tbsp finely chopped capsicum
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed ginger
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt
- 2 to 3 tbsp water or add accordingly
For tempering :
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black or white sesame seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Few fresh curry leaves
- 2 green chillies, chopped
For garnishing :
- Few fresh coriander leaves
- Grated fresh coconut (optional)
1. Take Rava, carrots, capsicum, beans, salt, sugar, green chillies, ginger in a bowl.
2. Add yogurt.
3. Mix and combine well. Make sure that there are no lumps.
4. Let the batter sit for 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Now add Eno and water.
6. Mix well until it starts to bubble on surface but make sure not to over mix it. Batter should be of thick dropping consistency.
7. Pour it immediately into a greased tray.
8. Steam it for 15 minutes. Take out from steamer and let it cool for 5 minutes.
9. Prepare tempering with tempering ingredients.
10. Pour the prepared tempering on steamed dhokla, garnish with coriander leaves and grated coconut. Now cut the dhokla into small squares.
11. Serve warm with Mint Chutney and Sweet Chutney .
You can also try healthy snacks on the blog….
Tips and Tweaks :
Make sure to use slightly sour curd for better flavour, taste and texture.
Add 1 tsp of lemon juice if the curd is not sour.
Don’t keep the batter idle for a long time after adding Eno. Add it just before pouring the batter in greased tray.
Steam cook on a medium flame to make dhokla soft and spongy. Do not steam on high flame for a long time.
This dhokla can be made-ahead of time and later warmed to suit your preferences.
Tastes best when made spicy.
Stay connected with me on Instagram for regular updates.