Anything instant is what catches one’s eye. Everyone’s life seems to be running very fast…so we need everything at the same instant, be it a food or something else.
Paddu, Gunta Ponganalu, Paniyaram, Guliyappa, Appe are the different names for this dish. Authentic paddu is extremely delicious which is prepared by soaking and grinding of dals and rice and fermenting it overnight.
But here I’m sharing you the Instant Paddu recipe prepared with rava/sooji/semolina. Ingredients used in this recipe are similar to the ones used for Instant Rava Idli but I like paddu better than rava idli.
This is a kinda more filling breakfast as rava is used here. Serve as breakfast or as a evening snack but make sure to serve them with fresh coconut chutney. These tastes awesome with chutney.
Here the recipe goes….
Category : Breakfast
Cuisine : South Indian
Author : Jyo
Yields : 16 paddus (medium sized)
- 1/2 cup Bombay rava/sooji/semolina
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 1/4 tsp cooking soda
- 3/4 cup your curd
- 1/4 cup water or as required
Vegetables needed :
- 2 tbsp grated carrot
- 2 tbsp finely chopped capsicum
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sweet corn (optional)
- 6 to 7 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp chana dal
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- A pinch of asafoetida
For frying :
1. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal, let all dals start to change to golden brown. Now add asafoetida and rava, fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off the heat. Let the mixture cools completely.
2. Now add rice flour, all veggies and salt.
3. Add curd, mix well and let it sit for 15 minutes.
4. So that the batter consistency will become thick.
5. After 15 minutes add water part by part as required. The batter should be not too thick or too thin.
6. This has to be slightly thin than idli batter but little thick than the dosa batter. Then add cooking soda, and mix well.
7. Heat appe pan, drizzle some oil in all chambers of appe pan. Take spoons of batter and drop in all chambers of appe pan, drizzle some oil on top too.
8. Cook paddus on both sides until crispy on low-medium flame.
9. Paddus are ready to serve. Tastes best with fresh coconut chutney.
Some instant recipes on the blog….
Make sure to add sour curd (not too much sour, slightly sour).
Make sure the rava mixture is cooled before adding curd to it.
You can also add some greens like Dill leaves or Amaranth leaves.
Always cook over low to medium flame to get crunchy and crispy paddus, while the interior of the paddu will be soft and spongy.
Serve the paddus immediately while they are still hot and crisp because that’s when they taste the best.
Stay connected with me on Instagram for updates.