This is a vibrant coloured chutney, easy to prepare and quite a nice change from regular chutneys. The lovely green colour from spinach leaves makes this chutney pleasing to the eye.
With a garlicky flavour, a good balance of tart and spice, freckled with a colourful spice tempering, palak pachadi can be savored with hot rice, a generous amount of melted ghee and chopped raw onions.
Spinach Pachadi is a great way to serve up these leafy vegetables that kids generally avoid to take. I have added protein-rich chana dal and urad dal in this chutney which gives a nutty taste and texture.
Serve your family and friends, as an elegant accompaniment to a festive meal and you are sure to hear the murmurs of pleasure😁.
Here you go…
Category : Pachadi, chutney
Cuisine : Andhra
Author : Jyo
Servings : 4
- 1 cup chopped palak (spinach), tightly packed
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 5 green chillies
- 4 garlic pods
- 1 inch tamarind
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped onions
- 2 garlic pods, chopped
- 1 dry red chilli, make pieces
1. Clean the spinach, wash it thoroughly, chop and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a kadai, add chana dal, urad dal and cumin seeds. Fry in low flame till the dal becomes light brown in colour. Then add chopped palak, onion, garlic pods, salt, tamarind, coconut and green chillies. Saute until the spinach is wilted. Let the mixture cool down to room temperature and blend to a nice paste with little water.
2. Prepare tempering with tempering ingredients, add it to the chutney and mix it well.
3. Serve with hot steamed rice with a dollop of melted ghee.
Other Pachadi varieties on the blog :
Broccoli Pachadi in Broccoli Recipes
Adjust the quantity of green chillies according to your taste.
A small pinch of sugar is added to help the spinach retain its bright green colour.
Stay connected with me on Instagram for regular updates.
Are you making this recipe ? I love to see your creations, so snap a photo and tag Jyospassions on Instagram with hashtag #jyospassions .