Who doesn’t love a CASSEROLE ?
The phrase ‘Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole’ sounds delicious in and of itself, don’t get me wrong. But what if I told you that this casserole was also dump-and-bake dish.
This Broccoli Rice Casserole is a cheesy, delicious and easy dinner idea that the whole family love. It’s the ultimate comfort food, you can serve it as a side dish or as a meal, so it’s a versatile recipe you can pull out for the holidays, a potluck or a weeknight dinner at home.
The casserole can be adapted in a variety of ways and become as cheesy as you like. You can swap out the broccoli for another vegetable of your choice. You can also top the casserole with as much cheese as you like and add bread crumbs, toasted almonds, pimientos or garlic to make it even more interesting, the possibilities are endless.
Sure this casserole is heavy on the fat, but using quinoa or brown rice or millets packs a bit of fiber — as does the broccoli.
Any way, this is the comfort food at its finest and is wonderful for cold winter nights😊.
Category : Main, dinner
Cuisine : American
Yields : 2 to 3 servings
- 1 and 1/2 cup small broccoli florets
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated mozarella and cheddar cheeses or as required
For white sauce :
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp All-purpose-flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
For sauteing onions :
- 2 medium onions, chopped finely
- 3 garlic pods, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp oil
For rice mixture :
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp oil
- A pinch of black pepper powder
Spicy garlic sauce :
- 1 tbsp schezwan sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp Soya sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- Few chopped spring onions
- A dash of salt
1. Blanch broccoli florets for 2 to 3 minutes, drain the water and keep aside.
2. For white sauce : Heat butter, add flour….saute for a minute on low flame. Then gradually pour in milk while whisking. Continue whisking over medium heat until thick and bubbly….now add blanched broccoli florets, oregano, red chilli flakes and salt. Stir and switch off. Set aside.
3. For onion sauteing : Heat oil, add garlic…saute. Then add onions, saute until translucent and stir in spring onions, salt, red chilli flakes. Switch off and keep aside.
4. For rice mixture : Heat oil, add pepper powder, cooked rice and salt. Gently mix the rice for 2 to 3 seconds. Switch off and keep aside.
5. Dump all the garlic sauce ingredients in a pan and give a boil. Keep aside.
5. Preheat the oven. Take baking dish, spoon the onion mixture into the baking dish. Then spread the rice mixture, then broccoli white sauce, then grated cheese and finally top with bread crumbs.
6. Now it’s time to bake….bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and cheese bubbles on the edges of the baking dish.
7. Now serve hot with garlic sauce (my choice😊)
You might also like
You can swap out the broccoli for another vegetable of your choice.
You can also some cooked chikpeas.
You can use any kinda rice you like… basmati, jasmine, brown or quinoa.
You can also use any kinda cheeses.
Leftovers will also stay good in the freezer for upto 2 to 3 days.
This recipe is great for Meal Prep or Easy Dinner.
Stay connected with me on Instagram for regular updates.