One more millet recipe, but now with Little Millets. Simple, healthy, delicious, refreshing recipe….very quick to make and light on tummy too.
We all are aware of the goodness of millets, people are scared of having millets thinking that it may not taste very good. Today I am sharing the recipe of cooked little millet rice. The best thing about this little millet is that it is very closely resembles our regular rice. Its taste, texture and appearance are not very different. So it is very easy to adapt. Those who are new to millets can confidently start by trying this.
This millet is very versatile and can be used in pretty much all the recipes that are made with rice. You can make upma, pongal, payasam, Bisi bele bath etc. More than all this, you can just cook it as a substitute to rice and eat with curry. You will feel so good about eating healthy food without compromising on the taste😊.
Here the recipe goes….
Category : Breakfast
Servings : 3 to 4
- 1 cup little millets
- 1 tsp sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Chopped coriander leaves
For seasoning :
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 7 to 8 green chillies, chopped finely
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 capsicum, chopped finely
- Few curry leaves
1. Wash the millets gently and pressure cook with 1.5 cup of water. Allow it cool, fluff it up nicely with a fork, so there are no lumps and the grains stay separate. Take the cooled millets and spread iton a plate, add salt, sugar and lemon juice on the spread millets.
2. Meanwhile, temper the mustard seeds, add chana dal, urad dal and peanuts….fry them. Then add curry leaves, greenchillies, onions and capsicum. Cook until onions are translucent.
3. Then add turmeric powder, mix and switch off the heat.
4. Add this seasoning and coriander leaves to the spread millets. Mix well. Check the taste and adjust the spices.
5. Serve with some papad, chips or fryums.
Try one more recipe of millets Foxtail Millet Biryani on my blog.
Generally millets require less salt and oil, so be careful while adding salt.
The proportion of little millets and water is 1 : 1.5 that is, 1 cup of little millets requires 1.5 cups of water.
This recipe requires very less effort and you can easily pack in for your lunch box.
HAPPY COOKING…. JYO