When breakfast is the important meal of the day, then it should be healthy and filling. Having nutrient and proteinrich breakfast makes a delicious way to jump-start your metabolism.
The ancient millets are forgotten and neglected for decades are coming back into many people’s lives as people are realising the health benefits of these ancient grains.
Millets have very high nutritional value, unsaturated fats, proteins, minerals, fibre…adding a mix of different types of millets and lentils into your breakfast means…you are having the most nutritional and healthy breakfast.
In this recipe, I have mixed some of the millets and lentils together to get a dosa batter which gives a very tasty, healthy and crispy dosas.
Every once in a while I prepare such dosas to add more nutrition to our daily tiffin items. This is also a great way to reduce the consumption of white rice.
This is a fool proof method of making millet dosa batter in a mixer grinder. Let’s have a look at how to make healthy millet dosa batter in a mixie at home.
Category : Breakfast
Cuisine : South Indian
Yields : 11 to 12 dosas
- 1/2 cup barnyard millets
- 1/2 cup foxtail millets
- 1/2 cup little millets
- 1/4 cup poha/beaten rice
- 1/4 cup split yellow mung dal
- 1/4 cup urad dal/split black gram
- 1 tbsp chana dal/split bengal gram
- 4 fenugreek seeds
1. Take all the above said ingredients in a bowl, wash well and soak for 4 hrs. Then drain water and grind to a smooth and foamy batter.
2. Allow the batter overnight for fermentation. Next day, stir the batter well, add salt and adjust the consistency to spreadable thickness.
3. Heat tawa until hot and pour a ladlefull of batter and spread it in circular motion like regular dosa. Drizzle few drops of oil at the sides and centre. Cook until golden in colour. Once done, fold/roll and serve with chutney, sambar or saag of your choice.
You might even like some millet recipes on the blog….
You can try some of the accompaniments for dosa…
Broccoli Saag in Broccoli Recipes
Pithikina Pappu Koora in Avrekalu Delicacies
Make sure that the batter is well fermented.
You can use any millets of your choice.
You can make thin or thick/soft or crisp dosas with this batter.
This famous brunch recipe is apt for house parties too.
Pair it with saag, chutney and some crispy vadas for a complete meal.
Stay connected with me on Instagram for regular updates.