Flaxseeds are considered to be one of the most health foods in the market today. Among all 127 World’s Healthiest Foods, flaxseeds come out number one as a source of Omega-3s. These are called avisa ginjalu in Telugu and Alsi in Hindi.
These seeds are high in omega 3 fatty acids, fibre, alpha-linolenic acid and lignans. Flaxseeds contain 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
They are said to protect human body from cancer and heart disease, helps to manage type 2 diabetes and also in weightloss.
There are many ways to include flaxseeds in our diet like adding to parathas, smoothies, porridge, buttermilk and making spice powders and so on. The most loved way consuming flaxseeds is to make chutney powder and this is the perfect accompaniment for our breakfasts to serve with idli, upma, utappam, poha etc. And BEST with hot steamed rice with a dollop of ghee.
With loads of fibre and nutrients, this healthy version of podi is a wise addition to your diet. I am sure it gives a tongue licking flavour. So make a batch of it and enjoy.
Let’s move to the recipe…
- 1 cup of flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup of chana dal
- 1/4 cup of urad dal
- 1/4 cup of fried gram
- Few curry leaves
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 15 badige red chillies
- 15 Guntur red chillies
- A big pinch of turmeric
For tempering :
- 3 tsp of oil
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- A generous pinch of asafoetida
1. Take all the ingredients.
2. Dry roast the flaxseeds in a pan on medium flame. Set aside in a bowl to cool. In the same pan, dry roast the chana dal and urad dal. Take care not to burn.
3. And dry roast the chillies till crisp on low flame.
4. Let allow the above roasted ingredients to cool. And add other ingredients in a bowl.
5. Take all the above said ingredients and roasted ingredients in a blender and blend to a coarse powder.
6. Heat oil in a small pan, crackle the mustard seeds, add asafoetida and add this to flaxseed chutney powder. And gently mix the powder.
7. Store this podi in an air tight container.
Stays good at room temperature for upto 2 months.
To get the optimum health benefits from flaxseeds, they must be ground or powdered and then used.
The quantity of dry red chillies are adjusted according to your taste.
The above measurement gives moderate spiciness.
If you intent to store longer, put in the freezer.
Stay connected with me on Instagram for regular updates.