There are many varieties of mangoes but these pickles turn out best with Totapiri. It has the right blend of sourness, acidity and sweetness, perfect for instant pickles, where ageing and marinating is not done. It gets done in 10 minutes.
With extensive guidance from my mother, i have managed to attain little perfection in the pickle making process. I have put in my best efforts to put her tips together in this recipe. So you could achieve the same perfect result.
This mango has a rich aromatic flavour and is delicious in which sweetness and acidity are delicately blended and an excellent source of Vitamin A and C.
Experience says ‘not recommended for any other variety of mango’ however you can be adventurous. Thess are salsa-like-pickle recipes which will keep you craving for more.
Don’t get surprised with generous amounts of spices used. It’s an Indian pickle. So throw in those extra spoonful of red chilli powder and asafoetida. It will rock your palette.
Spike your food with mango pickles, eat with rice, their sour and hot taste titillates the taste buds. Mango pickles add a zing to the ordinary food.
So make a lunch or dinner tastier with these delicious and spicy mango pickles. They can be served as a side dish with khichdi, naan bread and goes well with curd rice.
Here are the recipes…
Instant Mango pickle
Category : pickles
Cuisine : Indian
Author : Jyo
- 2 cups of finely chopped mango(1 big totapiri raw mango, washed, deseeded and chopped into small pieces)
- 1 tbsp of mustard oil or SF oil
- 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp of asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- 3 tsp of red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp rasam powder
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- 3 tsp of salt or as required
1. Wash the mango and chop into small pieces.
2. Take a kadai, heat the oil until it smokes and add mustard seeds. Let it splutter, now low the flame. Then add curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder. Turn off the heat immediately.
3. Now add mango pieces, chilli powder, rasam powder, salt and sugar. Give a nice mix. Let the pickle rest for 1 hour. Again mix well.
4. Store in a air tight container. It can be refrigerated and preserved up to 10 to 12 days.
Instant Mango-Ginger Pickle
- 1 big totapiri mango chopped finely
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- A sprig of fresh curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coarsely grinded chilli paste
- 1 tbsp coarsely grinded ginger
- 1 tbsp jaggery powder
1. Chop the mango into fine pieces.
2. Heat oil, temper mustard and cumin seeds, add asafoetida, turmeric powder…saute for a second, then add curry seeds, ginger and chilli paste. Saute for 1 minute on low flame.
3. Then switch off the stove. Now add mango pieces, salt and jaggery. Mix well. Let the pickle rest for 30 minutes. Then store it in an air tight container and it can be refrigerated and preserved for 10 to 12 days.
That’s it.. your instant pickles are ready. Easy and tasty.
Check the pickles and adjust the flavours.
Use the pickles within 2 days if kept out.
Stay connected with me on Instagram for regular updates.
HAPPY COOKING….. JYO💙